Tabs

Friday, December 6, 2013

Day One


After being up all night and early morning in labour with my child from 10pm I was so tired and worn out. Being in labour is hard on the body but giving birth to a child is even worse.
Your whole body becomes so weak afterwards.
My body ached all over but we all know were I was aching the most.
The only thing I could do was rest and sleep. Honestly the hardest thing of day one is starting breastfeeding. Both you and baby have to learn how to do it.
Latching baby on right is what you need to get right so you don't end up with more pain on top of what you already have.
I ended up with cracked and blood blistered nipples because of  baby not latching on properly.
 You have to make sure baby mouth is around most of the areola (the dark part around the nipple) and has a good suction. Breastfeeding seems so easy until you actually do it yourself. It's harder than it looks.
I broke down. I was ready to give up on breastfeeding.
Deep inside I was determined to get it right but my frustration, tiredness and pain overruled. My baby and I were crying along together. Make the most of the nurse midwifes in the hospital, use them, you'll need them especially when your partner and family have left. They helped motivated me. Adjusting to having a baby was very hard as I was so exhausted from what my body just went though.

When baby arrived after the first skin-to-skin & breastfeeding of your baby will get weighed, measured and a full body check to see for abnormalities. My baby got the highest score in the apgar test (may called something different other countries) 10/10 but had an extra buttocks crease but nothing to worry about.

To sum it up day one is all about rest, sleep and feeding baby. Most of all meeting your new baby after the long 9 month wait. Don't give up to easily on breastfeeding. Give your baby the best start to life. Breast is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment