Tabs

Friday, December 6, 2013

My Labour & Delivery Story

It all started at 8pm on the 16th of October. What first were braxton hicks had turned into contractions that went on at 20-30 minutes intervals for two whole hours. At 10pm everything came to a stand still. Pains had vanished. Later on I attempted sleeping in my bed but I was kept up by contractions starting up again. Things were progressing and the pain was increasing. All I could feel the pain of baby pushing down on my pelvis & hips bone, period cramps, pressure on my lower back and anus. It felt like I had a tummy bug cramp and diarrhea cramps too. It was nothing like any pain I have ever felt before. It was beyond my pain tolerance. After constant contractions since 10pm it was 12:40am. My partner had arrived home from working night shift. By the time he had finished his refreshing shower all he could hear was me screaming & crying loudly in pain. He did his best to calm me and tell me that it was going to be alright. I told him the baby is coming, ring your parents. We had a plan that when I go into labour we were to ring them so they could pick us up and drive us to the hospital. Within the 20 minutes of waiting for his parent alot had happened. Contractions were coming on longer & stronger. My water had broke then 5 minutes later they broke again at 2:30am. I had to change my pants twice.

Finally his parents arrived. It was a lengthy car ride with mostly straight roads. It took 30 mins to get to the hospital. I was screaming and crying with contractions the whole time. My partner had rang the midwife on the way there. I don't know how my baby's grandad was able to drive as I was in the front seat screaming. To my satisfaction I saw the hospital building, my partner wheeled me through the doors in a wheelchair and followed the nurses into the birthing room. Time of admission was 3:15am and I was 4cm dilated. Before I knew it I was on the bed sucking on gas with contractions that were extremely painful. The bed become so uncomfortable I had to move to the bath. After few hours of contractions, back rubs and comfort from both Grandmother and babys daddy I was fully dilated at 4:40am. At this point the pain was more intense. The clock hit 5:19am and babies head was born and then a few gentle pushes later out came babies shoulders. I felt a quick release and there baby dove into the water and was lifted out and instantly put onto my chest. My partner cut the umbilical cord then 20 minutes later I pushed out the placenta but a few bits of placenta membranes were stuck so my student midwife did a great job of gently plucking them out.  After that I was moved to the bed breastfeed baby for the first time and baby latched beautifully.

I was in labour for 6 hours 40 minutes and the birth of baby & placenta was for 61 minutes. My baby girl was born on October 17th at 5:20am, weighed 8lb 4oz. She was born in the water and is perfectly healthy. The birth turned out as planned and I had a great recovery with no stitches, no tears. I'm overjoying to be a new mummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment